Friday, March 1, 2013

Just Maybe

Nope, I didn't ride to work today.


I checked the forecasts and even looked out the window. Heaven knows I've ridden to work in worse.


This is about as bad as I encountered on the way to work.


I just had this feeling I wasn't supposed to ride today.  And so I didn't.


After work as I was nearing Jefferson Ave. I saw a cyclist I pass often on my way home. She, too, is out in all kinds of weather. I've been hoping an opportunity would present itself to exchange pleasantries with her, but so far it hadn't happened. The timing had been off. Tonight as I was waiting for the light to change I watched her ride up. She was reading my stickers on the back of the car. As she pulled next to me, I rolled the window down. I told her what I rode and she knew immediately who I was. I shared how I had a feeling I shouldn't ride today. She said I was wise to honor the feeling and added how difficult it had been this week to know when to ride or not. When I mentioned this was the first day this week I hadn't rode she told me I was doing better than her. This was only the second day she had ridden. And, then the light changed and it was over.

You know, maybe I wasn't avoiding something bad happening by not riding to work today. Maybe, just maybe, it was all about creating an opportunity to have simple interaction with a cyclist on a marginal weather day.

It's Friday again. Have a great weekend and if you get the chance to ride be safe, ride strong, and ride beautiful.
30F/-1C with light snow for the morning drive.
32F/0C with light snow for the evening commute home.

4 comments:

  1. Funny how out gut instincts lead us sometimes.

    It is cool that you finally got to talk to the cyclist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, it doesn't always mean avoiding something bad. It can, as in this case, mean creating an opportunity for something good to happen.

      Delete
  2. Keith, you have to trust your gut. You are way more adventurous than I am. With a little luck, in a week or two, spring will be your new normal, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can hope so. The daffodils certainly think it is close. I saw some nearly ready to bloom.

      Delete