Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yes, I rode to work today.

This was the kind of a day three years ago I would have drove. Three years ago I didn't have the tools to figure out what the weather would be. Three years ago I wouldn't have had the confidence to ride in the wet, let alone ride on streets covered with wet snow.


One of the morning regulars at the cafe was especially concerned about me riding today. When I asked him why, he mentioned the snow, the rain, me not having wipers on my helmet, and how crazy the other drivers are. Funnily, the one thing I was concerned about he didn't mention. I was concerned about the wind. There was a possibility of gust up to 30knots.

It snowed quite heavily all morning but the temperatures stayed well above freezing.

The snow let up around noon just as things were getting slushy.

By the time I rode home it was snowing again, but the streets were dry. It was much like riding in a giant snow globe. And, the wind? It, too, did what the forecasters predicted. It wasn't much of a problem, but it was the biggest problem I faced on my commute today. I know some get their thrills from speed or riding through the twisties, but for me it's reading the tea leaves of the weather forecasters correctly and riding safely when most others won't ride at all.

The old helmet worked just fine today. I used my Fog-eVader and didn't experience any fogging.

The reason I replaced the helmet was the dual lens had separated and condensation was forming between the the lens. I used this as an excuse to move to a white helmet. At the time I bought the GMAX the snowmobile store only had black and bad graphics. I chose black. I took a risk and ordered a helmet branded by CKX, because they offered it in white and it worked out. The new one will be the same model, but in yellow and black, oh well.

I didn't really retire the GMAX, rather I was planning on re-purposing it. I fixed the dual lens with Gorilla tape, took out the breath guard, and am going to use it as a summer rain helmet. To increase its "being seen" factor I ordered a kit of hi-vis stickers from Aerostich.

I think it has a little more personality now.

And, maybe even some attitude. What do you think?
  • 35F/2C with light snow for the ride to work.
  • 33F/1C with more light snow for the home ride.

3 comments:

  1. You obviously know what you're doing. Otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. People will worry about you though, and that's good because they will hopefully pay more attention with you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think you commented before I managed to finish the post. I accidentally hit the publish button before I was done.

      It is actually very sweet that R. does worry about me. I think he likes me :^)

      Delete
  2. Liking the hi-vis stickers on the helmet. Hubby has some on his Arai and they are really noticeable when lights hit them.

    I am thinking of putting some small bits of my extra blue wheel tape on my helmet as it is retro-reflective. The black is so hard to see. Luckily I don't usually ride at dusk or in the dark.

    ReplyDelete