Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Other Than My Alley . . .

Yes, I rode to work today.

And . . .

My alley was still the most difficult part of my commute.


The streets I rode on today were all bone dry. There was some snow in the turn lanes, but no broken-water-main-skating-rinks like I found yesterday on my more usual way in.


I wasn't the only one to ride today. Vulcan Rider was already at work when I got there.

After work found me riding on one of the old Rte.66 routes from Downtown out to Maplewood. There was a full moon and it was just a delight to be riding even if traffic was surprisingly heavy.


I rode by this storefront. There was a sign in the broken window saying, "Open" and the lights were on. The photo doesn't do justice to how tattered, torn, and worn the STEVE'S AUTO SALES sign was. While I'm sure this destination wasn't the cause of the traffic, it did have an odd charm about it.

With the warmer temperatures during the day, I found my alley to be much less of a titillating experience than it had been this morning. Tonight the temperature will dip back below freezing. With my alley refreezing I may just walk the Symba out to the street. This is one of the things I love about the Symba. I can push it around almost as easily as I could a bicycle, which can come in real handy when you have an alley which likes to impersonate a skating rink.

  • 26F/-3C and hazy for the ride into work.
  • 38F/ 3C with some clouds, but not enough to get in the way of the beautiful Full Moon.


6 comments:

  1. The moonlight evening ride sounds so nice. I'd be scared to push my Ninja around on a slippery surface. One more good reason I "need" to add a scooter to the stable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari,
      It is amazing how much different the Symba is in comparison to my Kymco 250S. I wouldn't want to bush it around a whole lot either. For urban commuting there is lots to be said for a small scoot. There a hoot! You'd love it!

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the Vulcan was riding to work too. Glad the roads were dry. Hope the alley isn't too much of a skating rink this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much better than I thought it was going to be. I was grateful. And, yes I'm glad Vulcan Rider has been riding more.

      Delete
  3. The hill on our driveway continues to be the most challenging part of my commute. A few more inches of fresh snow last night made for a lot of fishtailing before I made it to the top of the driveway.

    That alley still looks much more challenging than a skating rink. At least a rink would be nice and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I have no hill...or any fresh snow on top of the ice. It has really warmed up and feels more like Spring than almost the Solstice.

      Delete