Thursday, November 3, 2011

We're Members of the Same Club

Yes, I rode to work today.

The forecasters predicted steady rain during the morning ride time. Instead, there was a very light mist. My gear wasn't even wet when I got to work.

The forecasters said it would clear up in the afternoon. Guess what?

I rode home in the rain.
I learned something about a co-worker today. From the way he moves and carries himself I've suspected he he had been in a significant accident sometime in his life, but didn't know the details. Recently he and I have been working together on a special project. He just happened to mentioned the only thing he missed about being in the hospital was the massages and the nurses stretching him. This gave me an opportunity to find out about his accident. It was a motorcycle accident. He was racing his brother in the woods and hit a tree. He had to be revived at the scene and was in a coma for months. He had thirty-six broken bones total. He drives, but can't ride a motorcycle anymore, but he has an ATV that he loves to ride.

It continues to amaze our supervisor that he and I, both head injury survivors, are two of the best workers in the Circuit. Both he and I agree part of it is both of us are grateful to be able to work and don't take it for granted. While on Holiday I saw a bumper sticker that read: "I believe in Life before death." Having one's life change completely can be crushing or it can make one more grateful for every moment one has. I'm grateful it didn't crush me. I'm grateful to know my co-worker's story. I guess you could say we're members of the same club.

Home where it is nice and dry.

  • 52F/11C with light mist for the ride to work.
  • 47F/8C and light rain for the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment