Thursday, April 26, 2012

Butterfly

Yes, I rode to work today.

I rode straight home tonight. Heather and I are going out for dinner. We are going to restaurant we have both been wanting to try, but just haven't. I suspect if not for this I would have taken the long way home tonight. Once again we are having resort weather--the kind of weather you usually have to go someplace else to enjoy.

My custom is to park Billie, get the door open and push her into her parking area. I usually leave my helmet on while I do this, but it was so nice tonight I decided to take off the helmet before I began my routine. I had removed my helmet and set it on the seat when a butterfly landed on my shoulder. I had my Finepix XP around my neck. I slowly reached for it, but the butterfly flew off. "Oh well," I thought to myself and went in to open the garage door.

When I came out I just happened to notice the butterfly was back and was perched on the dumpster.

This time I was able to get a picture.

It even let me get a little closer before it flew off once again.

I took my helmet and gloves inside and came back out to push Billie into the garage, but my eye again caught the butterfly. This time the butterfly was in the bush on the other side of the alley.

Carefully, I drew close.

I was hoping it would open it wings and it finally did.

It even turned to give me even a better view.

I took a dozen, or so, photos of the butterfly resting on the bush. I probably would have taken more, but once more it flew off.

As I was heading to go back to putting away the Symba, I heard a voice, "Can I help you? Do you need something? The woman who lives in the house behind the bush was now peeking out from between her garage and the bush the butterfly had fled. I explained to her what I was doing and even showed her a picture of the butterfly on the camera screen. She hadn't recognized me at first and told me she couldn't figure out why I was just standing there. It was nice to be shooting with a digital camera. I could show her the evidence. Actually, I'm sure no evidence was actually needed once she knew who I was.
  • 67F/19C and fair for the ride to work.
  • 77F/25C with just enough clouds for the Weather Service to call it partly cloudy for the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment