Monday, July 30, 2012

Smallish, But Not Little

Yes, I rode to work today.

And, I miss my canine friend. Let it be known I am not much of a dog person, but there was this smallish, but not little, gray mutt of a dog who often would be outside in his yard when I came out of the cafe after my morning bagel. As I put in my earplugs, put on my helmet, adjusted my glasses, and put on my gloves I would chat with him. I haven't seen him lately and have wondered why.

Now a privacy fence has been added within the chain link fence. I'm thinking I won't be seeing my friend again. The placement of the fence is odd. Could it be someone had been feeding the dog and the owners wished to stop it? Does placing it there block more of the view of the Cafe's Drive-Thru? The second is Heather's theory. She thinks the fence is because of the added noise and activity of the drive-thru. Neither she nor I are fans of drive-thru. Whatever the reason for the fence, I will miss my morning chats with the little gray hound.

I past Bevo Mill on my way to Mike's.
Today turned out to be much cooler than expected. It was overcast most of the day. After work I visited with Mike. We changed Billie's oil, adjusted her chain, and the rear brake. This is the first time the chain has required adjustment since we changed it. We used to adjust it every oil change which means every 800miles or so. This is the first adjustment in 8000miles. I'd say that's an improvement.
  • 76F/24C and partly cloudy with some sunshine for the ride to work.
  • 85F/29C and overcast with even a sprinkle or two as I began my after work journeys.

2 comments:

  1. What is Bevo Mill? I could look it up, but I thought I'd ask...Being very Dutch, I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,
      Bevo Mill was built in the early Twentieth Century as a banquet hall and restaurant. It was built by the Busch's. It has been a landmark for nearly a century. It was closed for a while. Now it is open only for brunch and I think for private events, but I'm not sure. The neighborhood around the Mill became the Bosnian neighborhood. One could argue the Bosnian diaspora saved the Bevo neighborhood.
      ~k

      Delete