Thursday, October 25, 2012

Midwestern Weather At Its Best

Yes, I rode to work today.

An alley near Florist Row.
This morning the outside temperature was warmer than we normally keep our apartment during the colder months of the year. And, there wasn't a cloud in the sky which meant no dramatic sunrise.

By lunchtime it was 80F/27C and folks were walking around in shirtsleeves enjoying the summer like temperatures.

But, the afternoon brought a change. By the time I left work the temperature had plummeted.

With the arrival of the cold front came the very real possibility I would be riding home in the rain.

Heather sent me a message. It was raining hard in Clayton. I put on the rain gear and headed out. Wouldn't you know this would be the only night this week I wasn't going straight home. Billie needed some adjustment to her clutch and she needed fuel.

It was a windy ride with gusts up to 28 knots. The leaves were on the move. I rode through many a "leaf devil". I guess that's what one could call those little leaf filled cyclones I encountered on my way to Mike's.

I made it to Mike's, got the clutch adjusted, went by the gas station, topped off Billie's tank, and still made it home before it rained.

Of course, the cherry on top of this day is the freeze watch in effect for tonight. Yep, this is Midwestern weather at its best.
  • 68F/20F and clear for the ride to work.
  • 60F/16C, overcast and breezy for the ride to Mike's
  • 49F/9C with a feel of rain in the air when I pulled into my alley.


No comments:

Post a Comment