Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Important

Yes, I rode to work today.

I'm convinced seeing and avoiding hazardous situations before they develop is the single most important skill one can develop to insure ones safety. 

Seeing is about paying attention to what's important, and it is about expanding ones awareness of ones surroundings. I practice seeing not only when I'm riding, but when I'm walking. Since I work Downtown I can even practice what I call "Commentary Walking" without collecting too many stares. Commentary Walking is akin to Commentary Driving, which is basically talking to yourself as you drive or ride, describing what's going on and what might happen (click here for a video example). I have found it a wonderful tool for improving my situational awareness. When I practice this technique while walking I talk aloud describing in detail what I am seeing and constantly seeking to see even more.

Today as I walked down a very familiar street I was practicing Commentary Walking. I was surprised by the sight of what I suspect is a sculpture in a window recess.

It sits on the other side of a parking lot, still it really is quite obvious. I've walked by it hundreds of times, yet until today I've overlooked it. This failure of perception was a powerful reminder of just how easy I can be overlooked when I'm riding. And, of how important it is for me to remain alert, vigilant, and observant.

Please, be watchful; be safe.
  • 44F/7C and partly cloudy for the ride to work.
  • 56F/13C with a few clouds for the home ride.

1 comment:

  1. You and I are a lot alike. I've gotten a little quieter now and in a small town you have to be more careful about being seen talking to yourself. My Village Idiot status doesn't need any boosting.

    ReplyDelete