Monday, March 25, 2013

Snow

Nope, I didn't ride to work.

It is official. Sunday we set a new mark for record snow fall on a March day. The old mark was 12.1in./30.7cm. The new mark is 12.4in./31.5cm. I don't think we got quite that much where I live, and I'm sure some folk got more, especially those who experienced thunder-snow.

Since I'd been out traipsing around Sunday afternoon, I really didn't have all that much snow to clear off of the Yaris. The temperatures were above or just below freezing throughout the night and the snow was heavy, but not frozen to the windows.

Many of the tulip trees were fixing to bloom when the snow came. This one is next to City Hall. I passed it during the walk from the parking lot to the Courthouse.

It was a short work day for me. Today Passover begins at sundown and Heather and I have cooking to do.

I didn't see any scooters out, but there were cyclists. It seems cyclists are almost always out and about. If you look closely you can see the snowflakes coming down. We experienced flurries today, but no new accumulation.

The trees in Tower Grove looked both beautiful and distressed.

This was a wet heavy snow, easy on the eyes but difficult on the trees, especially the evergreen trees. All the evergreens I saw were bowed and some were broken. Sad.

It has been above freezing all day and will be even warmer tomorrow. Will I ride tomorrow? We'll see. If not, I suspect I will be back on the road by Wednesday.

  • 30F/-1C and light snow for the drive into work.
  • 35F/2C and snow flurries for the drive home.



6 comments:

  1. Those poor tulip trees. And evergreens, that heavy wet snow just wrecks them.

    We usually get at least one snow fall every year between Dec-March, and it is odd we didn't get one this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures haven't been too bad, but you are so right, the heavy wet snow really wreaked havoc.

      Hopefully, you won't pay the price for omitting a "yet" at the end of your last sentence.
      ~k

      Delete
  2. OH! The worst. Almost. Tornado is worse. Heavy snow, ice storms are always the things I feared down there as soon as flowers came out. I can't tell you how often I watched heavenly magnolias brown and die from the cold spring. Too sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy if we made it through this year without any ice storms. Tonight it is suppose to get into the mid-20's. Last night it barely made it below freezing. That has been a bit of a blessing.
      ~k

      Delete
  3. Thought about you all day down there, kept hearing reports and saw too much video.

    Hopefully those plants not broken will recover and prosper. Mom showed me her tulips out behind the house Saturday....they are real tuffies surrounded by snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a snow storm farther north from where I live. I did go out and "look" around a bit on Sunday afternoon, but wasn't feeling real well. If I'd of felt better I'd have taken the Symba out to play a little. I'd a little sad I missed the opportunity. I suspect there will be other time, but I hope not this year.

      Tulips can be tough little buggers. Isn't it wondrous how powerful the will to life is?
      ~k

      Delete