Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wild Turkey

Yes, I rode to work today.

And . . .

Once again I missed the rains.

It stopped raining just as I was riding over to the cafe for breakfast. It was barely a drizzle. I hardly got wet.

It rained again late in the afternoon, but stopped just as I was getting off work. It has been uncanny how I've missed the rain this summer. I ain't complaining and I suspect eventually I will experience a time when it only rains during my commute time. I have known such times. Until then, I will just be grateful and dry.

Speaking of grateful, I continue to be astonished by the things I discover on the route I take to work nearly everyday. Today on the ride home I saw this.

Yep, that's a wild turkey. At first I thought there was only one.

But, then I saw another.

A woman came out of the house on the corner. She saw me taking the photo. I flipped up the front of my modular helmet and pointed while saying, "Turkeys." She just shrugged and said, "Yeah, they walk across my backyard nearly every afternoon." She may not have been surprised but I was. I certainly didn't expect to see wild turkeys in a neighborhood of old brick Italianate style houses fairly close in to Downtown. Yes, I continue to be surprised by the delights and treasures my little chunk of the world offers up to me.

  • 68F/20C with some light fog for the ride to work.
  • 79F/26C and cloud covered for the home ride.

8 comments:

  1. Well I'M shocked even if she wasn't! Wow! Nice photos of the turkey on the brick!

    I hear your weather report every morning on my NOAA radio, so I expected a rain report from you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always surprised at how animals figure out living in the City. There are fox, groundhogs, deer, and even a coyote once in a while, but these are the first turkeys I've seen this far in. I was sure I was imagining them, or they were pea-hens that at escaped. Yes, shocked is a good word.

      Delete
  2. Hi Keith ,

    See the odd pheasant, but not like that around property!

    never did i see a wild turkey walking up the pavement..never

    kindest regards
    Len

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a first for me! Ducks and geese are rather commonplace near the parks with ponds, but not wild turkeys.

      Delete
  3. Lie is good when you can continue to have happy surprises during your commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The route is always the same and always different. The key is keeping a lookout for what my commute is offering me. Nearly every day there is something new or a wee bit odd.

      Delete
  4. Keith, since it's only close to our Thanksgiving, they felt safe being do brazen in their stroll.

    I wonder if they'll still be so casual come the middle of November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard tell Ben Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey our national bird rather than the bald eagle. I wonder how that would have changed some jokes and at least one traditional feast :^)

      Delete